It's Here!!

It's Here!!

Tuesday 15 December 2015

Sad news, Dardir El Barkary passed away in August in Egypt ( http://www.nzsquashhalloffame.co.nz/dardir-el-bakary-gallery.html ). I remember as a youngster the excitement when heard that the Egyptian Dardir was going to do a coaching clinic in our small club. I still remember marvelling at the way he floated around the court in his black and red flared tracksuit pants. He made the ball talk. He was both educational and entertaining. I now realise that was his secret. Quite a few years later I organised for him to come to Barcelona and train our team. He had the same passion I had remembered and was still looking for new and improved ways to help young players improve their skills. He had just thought of a new metaphor to describe what was a good swing or racket movement. He likened it to the way an Italian ice cream cone is made. Apart from the metaphor, the wonderful thing was the sparkle in his eye and the excitement in his voice when he explained it to me. That´s probably why it has stayed in my memory. Rest in peace Dardir, Maestro and friend. Thank you for all that you have given to our sport. After publishing my book, "The G Spot, A Book About Squash" I wanted to give a copy to Dardir but no one knew where he was or had heard from him for quite a few years. After quite a few phone calls it became clear that he had been living on Australia´s Gold Coast. I enlisted the help of my sister and friends in Queensland. Finally my sister spoke with an Iman on the Gold Coast who had been in contact with him. He said that he had not seen him for a couple of years and thought that he had returned to Eygpt. Though facebook I contacted with squash people in Egypt and eventually found out sadly that he had passed away in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment